SurfStitch Group is an industry leading online global action sports and youth culture network with commerce and media capabilities. Together, SurfStitch’s Group’s websites serve a unique customer audience of over 6 million, representing a digital ecosystem capable of capturing and influencing all points of the surf and action sports lifestyle cycle.
Based within the offices of it' s European subsidiary Surfdome, SurfStitch requires a Ruby Developer that will help drive a better internal and external customer experience.
Primary Purpose of Position:
As part of the Tech team, this person will work closely with the Core, Frontend, DevOps and Product teams to maintain and develop technologies for Core, Tools, and customer facing systems.
You will be required to apply best practice, good coding standards and extensive testing, in order to provide good code that run our applications. Become part of a team that works in an agile way, shares knowledge and pushes for improvement.
Location and Visas:
This position is based on Shoreditch, London, on a permanent basis. We can't accept applications for remote workers.
We will only consider applicants who can prove their entitlement to work in the UK. We are not able to sponsor visa applications at the moment.
Internal: Lead Developers, Software Developers, DevOps, Product team and the Head of Tech
External: Service Partners and other Internal Departments
- Maintain and develop existing applications for our E-Commerce platform, Integrations and Business Tools.
- Design, implement and maintain new applications that add to our ecosystem.
- Liaise with internal and external teams to discover requirements and troubleshoot issues.
- Work together with the infrastructure team to facilitate development, test and running of applications and efficient delivery.
- Work together with the development team to shape processes and best practices within the team.
- Document work for other members to understand and break knowledge silos.
- Be part of technical discussions around new developments, can recommend implementations.
- Troubleshoot issues and incidents.
- Evangelize and apply best practices.
- Continuously improve performance and practices across systems.
- Pair together with other team members to unblock tasks and share knowledge.
Experience Critical to Success:
- Ruby development experience (>2 years) using Rails/Sinatra
- Experience building both full Rails apps and API
- MySQL backed applications
- TDD, BDD, Test suites, RSpec
- CI + CD Pipelines
- Gem development, gem ecosystem.
- Agile/SCRUM development
Some experience on the following would be strongly considered:
- Experience in E-Commerce environments and Platforms
- Experience in API-Led platforms
- Experience with log management systems like Splunk
- Experience with exception management systems like Sentry
- Experience with APM systems like New Relic
- 12 Factor Apps
- Experience with AWS SDK
Exposure to any of these technologies will be a plus:
- Experience building business tools
- Experience building and running Micro Services architecture
- Any other languages
- Software Engineering Background
- Ability to lead projects/epics as required
- Ability to understand the big picture of systems working together.
- Great attention to detail.
- Comfortable communicating with different teams and people with varied knowledge levels.
- Passionate for new web technologies.
- Solid grasp of the web technology stack and its internals.
- Apply best practices and good standards to the code.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of the business and product team members in order to extract requirements.
- Comfortable delivering applications in an agile, multi-team, fast paced, release-often environment.
- Ability to review other peer’s work and provide feedback in a positive way.
- A natural enabler, a pusher, not a blocker.
- Ability to share knowledge and train people up.
- Ability to think in an abstract way knowing only part of the problem.
- Ability to deliver well tested code.
- Pair together with other team members in order to unblock tasks and share knowledge.